Moderator: SEOP Mods
Just remembering myself about a couple of things that stick out in my head about this rivalry...would like to hear some others if you have any
1. The comeback...not sure the year...but Lutz pulled Shaffer from the QB spot and put in the freshman...who hit Sweet Baby James Taylor long for two bombs...Ironton Came back with less than two minutes left in the game to win..Most of the croud had already left for home when the tigers started this...I happened to be there enjoying every moment...I called a close friend and he couldn't and wouldn't believe it until he tuned into WIRO and was in shock that he had left...what a feeling...It was on my birthday...and what a present it was..
2. When the official called a penalty on Mark Lutz for having too low of a jersey number on as a long snapper on the extra point...Lutz handed the rule book to the official...then did it again...and again...first two called back for the penalty ...third missed...Ironton lost the game 20-19 in '87
3. The Fight...I remember Terry Parker picking up two ashland players and banging their heads together as they were trying to get the fight stopped after the game was complete...I think that was in '85
Love to hear more on these games and others...
- Posts: 570
- Joined: July 30th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Memorable Ironton vs Ashland Games/Plays
The "comeback" game was in 1997; definitely a feel-good game for Ironton fans but about the only other thing it did was keep Ironton from having back-to-back losing records (Ironton finished 5-5 in 1997 after 3-7 in 1996). I did leave early (seldom do I leave any Ironton game early) but I was supposed to be in Cincinnati by midnight.
Another vote for the 1987 game... at the time I think it was considered a major upset. A few years ago this game made the H-D list of the top 10 high school games of all time.
Going back a (long) way, and details are fuzzy, but...
1971... Ironton and Ashland met in the last game of the season, both sporting excellent records (no more than two losses between them). Ashland jumped out to a 14 or so point lead but Hal Spears led an Ironton comeback to win 28-19. Funny how memory fails us at times; I recall this game as being at Ironton but Ironton Football Dot Com shows it as being at Ashland.
And even further back...
1965... Ironton was suffering under a 15 or so game losing streak and had scored only 6 points total going into week 5 vs. Ashland. Final: Ironton 19, Ashland 13 MAJOR UPSET!
Ironton scored only 12 points the whole rest of the season. (yes, only 37 points scored all season with 19 coming against Ashland; Ironton's 1965 record was 1-9)
Gray Fighting Tiger
- Posts: 1203
- Joined: November 14th, 2004, 11:48 pm
- Location: Ironton OH - home of the FIGHTING TIGERS
I remember the one year I think it was 93 that the Ashland field was soaking wet. It had huge mud puddles all over the field. Only problem with that was it hadnt rain for 2 weeks. Apparently the fire department picked that day to flush out the hydrants in the stadium. They tried to slow Jermon down, but it didnt work.
- SEOP LEGE
- Posts: 32839
- Joined: November 16th, 2004, 5:14 pm
- Location: Waiting on my ice cream bars!
- Posts: 3052
- Joined: November 12th, 2004, 6:21 am
- Location: Wellston
They weren't trying to stop Jermon Jackson. They were trying to slow down that amazingly quick tackle Ironton had. Gannon, I believe was his name.
My favorite Ashland moment was listening to Coach Marsh "cry" on the radio about Chuck Price getting stuffed 4 straight plays in the 1982 game.
- Posts: 388
- Joined: January 9th, 2008, 3:55 pm
- SEOP LEGEND
- Posts: 112130
- Joined: November 11th, 2004, 6:47 am
- Location: Working afternoon turn at the Brewery......
- Teams: cleveland
I remember a nunchuk fight in the stands at Ashland in the early '70s. It used to be a much more heated rivalry.
- Posts: 105
- Joined: May 16th, 2008, 10:05 am
Return to Football
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: D-5, Eaglepapaw, EastBeast06, formerfcfan, Here4Fun, izladoom, Jottings, local superstar, nutronron2012, NYBUX, oneoak, philthyphil, Pointing Falcon, portsmouth_trojan59, RAIDER6309, sportsjunky98, timbo52, Westfan and 103 guests